Children can sign up for a library card here!
Effingham Library Children’s Programs
1000 Books Before Kindergarten: Register anytime for children between birth and five years old. You will be given a binder containing sheets to help keep track of the first 100 books. Each sheet of 100 books read can be turned in at the library for a prize!
Summer Reading Program: A four week program that runs July 22nd to August 15th. Features reading lists, take home activities, and prizes. Thank you to our SRP 2020 Sponsors!
- Hannaford Brothers Co.; Ossipee, NH.
- Remick Country Doctor Museum and Farm; Tamworth, NH.
- Pizza Barn; Ossipee, NH.
- Funspot Family Entertainment Center; Laconia, NH.
Storytime: has moved to Saturdays at 10:30 on Zoom! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for the Zoom link and passcode.
Introducing our NEW TECH kits! Tinker, Explore, Create, at Home, TECH kits will bring fun and educational adventuring and exploring right to your family’s doorstep! TECH kits can be borrowed for one week at a time. Click the titles below to learn more about each kit and its contents.
TECH Kits have been generously awarded to the Effingham Public Library through funding for the Kids, Books and the Arts event, provided by the Jack and Dorothy Byrne Foundation Cogswell Benevolent Trust, and the Children’s Librarians of New Hampshire (CLNH) as well as funds administered by the NH State Library.
New take-home activity kits!
In addition to our TECH kits, we also have additional take home activity kits. Click the links below to check out details of the kits. Kits can be borrowed from the library just like any library item! All you need is your Effingham Public Library card!
Engino Structures and Bridges Activity Kit: Become an engineer and learn how bridges and structures are held together by building your own!
Bug Collecting Activity Kit: Explore the wonderful world of bugs by collecting some in a bug net, getting an up-close look at their features and reading more about the amazing world of bugs!
Home Schooling Resources
Time 4 learning: a comprehensive starter guide to homeschooling in NH.
Outschool: Live online classes and camps. Free membership, but classes cost $10.
Duolingo: Free foreign language.
Scistarter: Citizen Science done at home
Homeschooler’s buyer’s co-op: discounted homeschool supplies.
The Lane Memorial Library and the North Hampton Public Library hosted the Virtual Homeschool Symposium September 2, 2020. An informational session to learn more about homeschooling with a panel of seasoned homeschooling parents. The panel includes the Portsmouth area New Hampshire Homeschooling Coalition’s (NHHC) district representative, Valerie Abasciano. Watch the recorded video to learn what led these parents to homeschooling, the rewards and challenges of homeschooling, and how to become a homeschooler. The video includes links for additional resources and contacts for more information and questions.
In addition to these online resources, the library is happy to help with book requests through our Interlibrary loan. If we do not have the book you’re looking for, we may be able to borrow it from another NH library. And don’t forget, we carry games, puzzles, and educational activity kits.
Online Family Resources from Children’s Book Week
- Children’s Book Week 2020 activity pages.
- A Guide to Paper Dolls with Lupin!
- Draw Phoebe and her Unicorn
- Alliteration, tanka, poetry; oh my! Enjoy some writing prompts with Nikki Grimes here.
- What do you want to find out? Kind of like an online encyclopedia for kids, DK Find Out provides information, videos, fun trivia quizzes and so much more for a whole plethora of topics!
- Read free books right online from Bushel & Peck Publishing.
- From Creator Corner, watch videos of authors and illustrators speaking about their favorite character creations.
- Follow us on Instagram! Under our story highlights; play along with our literary scavenger hunt.