The Effingham Public Library supports the principle of open access to information and ideas, regardless of the media in which they exist. We endorse the American Library Association’s Code of Ethics, Freedom to Read Statement, and Library Bill of Rights. Access to library materials, whether print or non-print, will not be restricted by the library because of a patron’s age. As with other library materials, supervision and restriction of a child’s access to the Internet is the responsibility of the parent or legal guardian. The library assumes no responsibility for information found on the Internet, which may be inaccurate, offensive, and/or illegal.
COMPUTER USE REGULATIONS:
- Laptops must be checked out and returned to the circulation desk.
- Laptop computers are for in-Library use only, and may be checked out for 240 minutes (4 hours).
- There is one renewal only, for an additional 30 minutes.
- There is one laptop checkout per patron per day.
- Computers are available on a first-come, first served basis.
- While checked out, laptops are the responsibility of the patrons borrowing them. Patrons must report any problems to library staff immediately. Failure to report problems may result in repair costs being charged to the patron.
- Only two people at a time may sit at one computer.
- Library computers may not be used to send, receive, or display text or graphics which may reasonably be construed as obscene by community standards.
- Library computers may not be used for any purpose which violates U.S. or state laws, and users must respect all copyright and licensing agreements pertaining to software, files and other online resources.
- Library computers may not be used for disruption or interference of users or services. Such disruption or interference includes, but is not limited to: distribution of unsolicited advertising; harassment; libeling or slandering of others; and propagation of computer worms or viruses.
- Patrons may not download files or software programs to the computers.
- Patrons may not save files on library computers. Documents may be saved to GoogleDocs, SkyDrive, or similar online locations.
- Any damage to computer equipment is the responsibility of the user.
- Patrons may use the printer at the cost of $.15 per page. This cost is waived for student homework assignments and IRS tax forms.
- All library computers are shut down 15 minutes prior to library closing time.
Patrons with excessive overdue or lost materials may have internet privileges suspended until their outstanding account is resolved. Patrons violating computer use regulations may be restricted from using library computers, and may, in some cases, have their computer privileges terminated. Illegal actions may also subject violators to prosecution by local, state or federal authorities.
- Books, audio books, magazines and puzzles circulate for two weeks. Items may be renewed once if no other patrons are waiting.
- Videos and DVDs circulate for one week. Items may be renewed once if no other patrons are waiting.
- Telescope, Kill-A-Watt meters and other devices circulate for one week.
- Reference materials and newspapers are for in-library use only. They do not circulate.
- Due dates for materials borrowed from another library (interlibrary loan) are determined by the lending library.
- During library hours, please return all materials to the circulation desk.
- After hours, please return materials to the book drop, located on the ramp outside the Children’s Room.
- Telescope, Kill-A-Watt meters and other devices MUST be returned to the Circulation Desk during library hours. DO NOT PLACE IN BOOK DROP.
- Library materials may be renewed once if no one is waiting for them:
a. In person during library hours
b. Over the phone at 539-1537
c. By e-mail at email@example.com
d. Online at http:effingham.lib.nh.us. Click on “Online Access” and log into your library account.
- Renewals for materials borrowed from another library (interlibrary loan) must be requested well ahead of the due date. It is up to the lending library whether and for how long the material will be renewed.
- There are no late fees; however, patrons are encouraged to make a donation to our Conscience Jar.
- Patrons are responsible for replacing lost or damaged materials, under RSA 202-A:25, which states: “Any person who willfully detains any book, newspaper, magazine, manuscript, pamphlet, publication, recording, film, or other property belonging to or in the care of any gallery or museum of any state, public, school, college, or other institutional library, may be given written notice to return it, which shall bear upon its face a copy of this section, mailed by certified mail to such person’s last address or delivered by a person designated by the lawful custodian of such property; and if such person shall thereafter willfully and knowingly fail to return such property within 15 days after such notice, the person shall be guilty of a violation.”
(Source. 1959, 60:1. RSA 572:42-b. 1973, 532:11. 1996, 33:6, eff. June 23, 1996.)
- The patron will be charged for replacement and all related collection costs.
The library reserves the right to suspend borrowing privileges for patrons with overdue or outstanding lost or damaged materials.
MULTI-PURPOSE ROOM POLICY
The Effingham Public Library (EPL) Multi-Purpose Room has a capacity of 49 persons and is handicap accessible available via the interior of the library. Use of the Multi-Purpose Room is limited to public gatherings of a civic, cultural, and/or educational nature. All events held in the room must be open to the public and no applicant may charge admission to an event except to cover the cost of materials which may be provided. The room is not available for commercial or private purposes and cannot be booked on a continuing basis, except as noted below. Due to the nature of the Library’s floor plan, other activities may be occurring in the Multi-Purpose Room at any time, even when reserved for an event.
The EPL endorses the ALA (American Library Association) Bill of Rights, which states that public library meeting rooms “should be made available to the public served by the given Library on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use.” The granting of permission to use the Library’s Multi Purpose Room, however, in no way signifies that the Library, its staff, its Board of Trustees, or the Town of Effingham are sponsoring or cosponsoring an event. Nor does such approval signify that the Library or the Town of Effingham supports the policies, philosophies, or programs of the applicant or applicant organization.
The following rules and conditions govern the use of the Multi-Purpose Room:
- The Multi-Purpose Room is intended for public events of a civic, cultural, and/or educational nature. The library Multi-Purpose Room is not available for commercial or private events. Due to the nature of the Library’s floor plan, other activities may be occurring in the Multi-Purpose Room at any time, even when reserved for an event.
- Application for use of the Multi-Purpose Room must be made in advance. All approvals will be granted at the discretion of the Library Director.
- Since all events in the Multi-Purpose Room must be open to the public, no applicant or applicant organization may charge an admission fee. Registration fees to cover the cost of materials which may be provided are allowed.
- All after-hours, non-library, and/or non-Town events must be sponsored by an adult library patron in good standing.
- The sponsor of an after-hours event shall be designated the responsible person to obtain and return a key to the library, and must be in attendance for the entire event.
- There is no charge for use of the Multi-Purpose Room, however donations would be gratefully accepted.
- Library events will be given priority when reserving the Multi-Purpose Room. Applications to reserve the Multi-Purpose Room should be made no more than six (6) months and no less than forty-eight (48) business hours in advance of the event.
- The Multi-Purpose Room may not be booked on a continuing basis by any applicant or applicant organization except for Library or Town-related organizations.
- Events in the Multi-Purpose Room may not disrupt the use of the Library by others. Those attending any event are subject to all Library policies and regulations. The applicant or applicant organization will be responsible for any and all damage caused directly or indirectly to the Library, collections, equipment, facility, or services by or during use of the Multi-Purpose Room.
- Set-up and clean-up of the Multi-Purpose Room is the responsibility of the applicant or applicant organization.
- Alcoholic beverages, smoking and open flames are not permitted within Library premises.
- The Library and/or Town are not liable for loss or damage of personal property or bodily harm.
- All applicants or applicant organizations must include in notices of their event and must state at each event that the approval for use of the Multi-Purpose Room does not constitute an endorsement by the Library, its staff, its Board of Trustees, or the Town of Effingham of the content presented or the participants attending.
- If the Library is forced to close due to inclement weather, the applicant or applicant organization will be contacted as soon as possible.
- Applicants or applicant organizations wishing to show movies during their event must inform the staff of the title. The staff will then determine whether or not the title is covered by our Public Performance License. If it is NOT covered, that film may NOT be shown, as this would violate the terms of our license.
- Audio-Visual equipment belonging to the Library may be used by the applicant or applicant organization at the discretion of the Library staff. A separate agreement shall be signed acknowledging that a qualified person will be using the equipment and that the applicant or applicant organization will be responsible for any damages that may occur.
- The applicant or applicant organization may request that coffee and tea be available, with the understanding that there is a suggested donation of $1.00 per cup to cover costs.
- The Library Board of Trustees reserves the right to modify and amend the terms of this policy at any time and to make such modifications and amendments applicable to any event planned for the Multi-Purpose Room which has not yet occurred. Every effort will be made by Library staff to make the applicant or applicant organization aware of such modifications or amendments prior to the event, but the inability to do so shall not absolve the applicant or applicant organization from adherence to those modifications or amendments.
- The Library reserves the right to revoke the use of the Multi-Purpose Room at any time and for any reason.