The Effingham Public Library is accepting applications for an Assistant Director. 30 hours per week, Tues. & Wed. 1:00 to 7:00pm and Fri. & Sat. 9:00am to 3:00pm (with 6 hours of Administration time per week). $13.25 per hour. Must be able to lift 30 pounds, bend and reach, communicate with a wide variety of people including good listening skills. Must be comfortable with children & running children’s programs. Library Science degree and/or experience preferred. High school diploma or GED required. Customer service and management experience a plus. Email resume and references to email@example.com
Library Assistant Director
30 hours per week, Tuesday & Wednesday 1:00 to 7:00pm and Friday & Saturday 9:00am to 3:00pm. 6 hours of Administration time allotted per week. $13.25 per hour.
Candidate must have a neat appearance, excellent customer service skills, the ability to maintain accuracy in a distracting environment. Must be comfortable serving library patrons of all ages, and must also be able to effectively manage and prioritize simultaneous requests for service. Must be able to lift 30 pounds, bend and reach, communicate effectively with a wide variety of people including good listening skills. Library Science degree and/or experience preferred. High school diploma or GED required. Google drive experience preferred. Knowledge of Windows-based software required. Management experience and/or customer service preferred. On-site training provided for library software. Candidate should be passionate about creating dynamic children’s programming, ranging from story time for little ones, summer reading programs, and family programs for infant through elementary-aged children.
The Library Assistant Director reports to the Library Director. In the absence of the Director, the Assistant Director reports to the Library Board of Trustees.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Supervising and performing all library services
- Circulating and shelving library materials
- Assisting patrons with questions and location of services
- Assisting patrons using public laptops/chromebooks
- Assisting patrons with printing/fax/copy/scan needs
- Assisting other library staff members and volunteers as needed
- Registering new patrons
- Answering the phone/checking messages
- Promoting a safe, organized library environment
- Supervising and performing all children’s programs
- Providing reference services, and technology assistance to children, their caretakers, and educators
- Creating and maintaining book displays and promotional materials
- Participating in continuing education opportunities
- Assisting with statistical reports
- Assisting with weeding items from shelves, circulation system, and state system as needed
- Managing the library in the absence of the Library Director, including meetings and programming
- Performing other duties as needed
Education and Experience:
- Library Science degree preferred. Combination of education and experience in a library setting will be highly considered. High school diploma or GED required.
- Significant background in customer service and or management.
- Prior experience working with children. An in-depth knowledge of children’s literature.